Sunday, January 20, 2008

Confessions from the garden at 8:32 AM

First a question for Erik Zweig.
Are we a bit crazy or do we have the answers to this messed up world? Or do we only have our answer?



Read this book, maybe
I could of started to get ready for work 20 minutes ago but I was at the end of "Bluebeard" by Kurt Vonnegut. Maybe you need to read it, maybe not. It is a suggestion, not an exhortation like how you should ride your bike more or have a bigger vegetable garden. Anyway the book tells it all, like the Lord's prayer covers everything.

Kurt Vonnegut

I started to read him at Oldonyo Sambu . There was a cloth bound copy of "Breakfast of Champions" at Oldonyo Sambu. I liberated the copy for good from the shelf in 1980. I had come to read parts to people, like when he would define an asshole. When I told the nun I was stealing it she thought I should do that as I was the one who was devoted to the book and would take care of it.


Radio
For years I did without radio and sometimes even a tape player. So I am feeling good listening the classic rock station from Texas USA in my garden while procrastinating going to work.


Disturbances
I am in my private secret garden finishing "Bluebeard" and listening to Chicago sing 25 to 64 (or whatever the name of the song is) and the first disturbance is Andrea the gardener. He is on his first day back from leave taking a walk around the garden. I want to be alone and he wants conversation. Long story, poor guy. I should give him some attention but I am selfish.

Five minutes later the phone chirps, and I roll my eyes as I dread any call. A number not in my phone book, but instead of complaints or bad news it is a seldom seen longtime friend Samuel Wilson in my office wondering if I am on my way.

(Wow, what is a guy who commutes to work by bicycle doing with a gardener? )


Book seller
Massawe who sells used books should get a medal from the mayor of Arusha. He has a couple of crates of books by the post office and has given me and others countless hours of joy and edification. Sometimes I am walking past and he yells me over and smugly plops down a paperback and knows I will like it.

1 comment:

bob's eye said...

In 2000 I bought a book from Massawe to read on the plane home. It was a great book...only the last page was missing. I was anxious to find out how everything wrapped up, so I checked the book out of the library as soon as I got back to Puyallup. After reading the last page, the story was still not completed satisfactorily...so maybe Massawe knew the last page didn't matter. Then maybe we put too much value on all our last pages and should be pleased if everything is a good read up to that point.